CROSSROADS COMMUNITY IS...
(1) A Christian Church
(2) Contemporary, standing in the tradition of the Protestant Reformation, yet very ecumenical
(3) Community oriented.
(4) Summarized by our vision and purpose, who we are and where we see God leading us.
(1) As a Christian Church
...We believe and teach the basics of Biblical Christianity:
- The Trinity: There is one God who has existed from eternity in three persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Father is God, Jesus is God, The Spirit is God, yet Jesus is not the Father… (Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox believers all teach this same doctrine of the Trinity)
- The Bible: Both Old and New Testaments are the inspired, infallible revelation from God to us. The Bible is the authoritative source of our teaching and life.
- Mankind: We are great, the height of God’s creation and made in His image; but we’re separated from the all Holy God as the result of our sin. This alienation from God is the ultimate source of all our problems.. We can’t be restored to God by our own efforts, morals or any religious rites; we need a Savior!
- Jesus; Jesus is God come to earth to do for us what we could not do for ourselves. On the cross, though sinless Himself, He took on our sins, suffered hell for us (separation from the Father), thus paying the punishment we deserve for those sins, with the result that we who believe are restored to God, become His children, and enter on a life of serving God and man, motivated, not by rules, but by the love of God in Christ. Jesus also will return to usher in a new world of total peace and love.
- Faith: True faith is not merely believing Jesus exists, but involves (1) knowledge of who Jesus is and what He’s done for us, (2) agreement with those truths, and (3) knowing we can’t earn or deserve heaven, trusting in Jesus alone for restoration to the Father and eternal life. True faith also changes us! God “saved” us to live good lives according to the Bible’s principles, and the Holy Spirit, who lives in us, guides and empowers us in those lives.
- The Church: Known by many biblical images including “the Body of Christ.” Our purpose is to share the Good news message of Jesus with others, live out that message in word and actions, and help each other to become all God has meant us to be in Christ.
(2) As a contemporary church
...We communicate in plain english and not 'christianese'. We try our best not to use “church words” that confuse and don’t communicate to people today. We also sing mostly contemporary Christian songs in our worship, believing that while the message of Jesus doesn’t change, the cultural aspects must, to remain relevant to changing times.
But we stand in a tradition. We have no problem with anything that’s old or traditional, if it’s biblical. We agree with many of the teachings of the Protestant Reformation - such as the Bible as the standard, that we’re made right by God’s grace alone, through faith alone, and so God alone receives all the praise for everything good in our lives. Since our beginning in 1998, we’ve gratefully been part of the Christian Reformed Church, a denomination which has fostered our strong outreach and educational emphases
And yet we’re ecumenical also. While we believe some teachings to be biblical that others don’t, our goal is to unite with Christians of any and every stripe. We believe that we have much more in common than not…much more that unites us, than separates us. And so we join with other Christians in prayer together and other efforts that further Jesus’ mission
(3) As a community oriented church
...We take the center of our name, Crossroads COMMUNITY Church, not as an unnecessary middle initial, but as central to what we’re about. See the COMMUNITY section for more on this.
(4) Our Vision and Purpose
“Crossroads – where faith and life meet!”
Driven by purpose
Energized by prayer
…Our purpose is to help people find new life, new beginnings in Jesus, and grow toward their full potential.